Job Description Job Attributes+
1208 South Military Trail
Deerfield Beach, FL 33442, US
Work With Purpose
At Five Star Senior Living, our people are the critical link to those we serve, and it is their vitality, energy, and caring nature that allows us to fulfill our mission of enriching and inspiring the journey of life. In addition to nurturing and advancing the lives of our residents, our team members enjoy meaningful opportunities for personal and professional growth, within a supportive culture centered around advancing their lives, as well.
Our cooks prepare and serve attractive, nutritious meals in accordance with state regulation and Five Star policies and procedures to ensure that quality food service is provided at all times. We want to deliver high quality dining experiences for our residents and it is through our talented cooks that we can provide such service. Duties for a cook can range from preparing ingredients to be cooked, to being responsible for cooking of all foods. In addition to cooking and maintaining a high level of cleanliness, safety and sanitation throughout the kitchen, cooks are expected to promote teamwork, strong communication with other departments and a positive and professional attitude.
What You’ll Do
- Prepare food items for residents and their guests as requested, including special request, in a timely and consistent manner.
- Remain flexible and agile with dietary needs and requests
- Ensure work environment and stations are clean and sanitized
- Inspect food products and supplies as needed
- Determine food and supply needs based on menu and dietary needs
- Communicate changes or shortages quickly and effectively
- Control and minimize waste
- Comply with outlined safety regulations, procedures, and 5-Star policies.
What You’ll Bring
Experience & Education
- High School Diploma or equivalent preferred
- 1-year experience as a cook or in a similar culinary environment
- Strong working knowledge of food preparation techniques, cooking methods, and safety and sanitation practices
- Familiarity with reading and interpretation of recipes and food preparation needs
- Comfortable standing, stopping, squatting, twisting, and moving frequently
- Ability to lift and carry up to 30 pounds
- Proven flexibility and innovation in a culinary environment to execute under pressure
We Got You
We see and support the whole you. Because investing in you, and all our team members, is the first step in making a difference in the lives of others.
- Comprehensive Medical/Dental/Vision
- 401k + Match
- Competitive PTO
- Life, Disability & other supplemental benefits
- Professional Development Funds
- Wellness Coaching & Personal Support Benefits
- Recognition & Reward Programs
Is This You?
Beyond checking off the boxes, we’re looking for someone who shares our deep sense of purpose and passion for advancing the lives of others.
- Puts People First – You have an authentic connection to our vision of a world in which the quality of life is ageless, and a desire to advance our culture by always respecting and empowering our team members, residents, and families.
- Customer Focused – You strive to build and strengthen customer loyalty by delivering exceptional hospitality, thoughtful solutions, and innovative customer attraction and retention strategies.
- Results Oriented – You’re forward thinking, seeing the big picture as you lead with empathy and drive to exceed results. You firmly believe that the way in which we achieve results is just as important as what we accomplish together.
- Drives Operational Excellence – You encourage a mindset of continuous improvement. You respect ideas, collaborate, and empower others to elevate how and what we deliver for our customers and each other.
- Embraces Change – You’re a change driver! A positive communicator who engages all key stakeholders to help them anticipate and embrace what’s next, you’re always adjusting the target for continuous improvement.
Five Star prohibits discrimination against any applicant or employee with regard to or on the basis of race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, ancestry, sex, pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), gender, gender identity and expression (including transgender), sexual orientation, mental or physical disability, military status, certain criminal records, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), HIV testing, a personal admission to a facility for the care and treatment of a mentally ill person and taking of parental leave or membership in any other category protected by applicable law. In addition to federal requirements, Five Star complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has communities and/or facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
In addition, Five Star expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, ancestry, sex, pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), gender, gender identity and expression (including transgender), sexual orientation, mental or physical disability, military status, certain criminal records, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), HIV testing, a personal admission to a facility for the care and treatment of a mentally ill person and taking of parental leave or membership in any other category protected by applicable law. We will not tolerate harassment of employees in the workplace, or in other settings in which employees may find themselves in connection with their employment. Improper interference with the ability of Five Star’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge. Additionally, retaliation, including intimidation, threats, or coercion, because an employee or applicant has objected to discrimination harassment or retaliation, engaged or may engage in filing a complaint, assisted in a review, investigation, or hearing or have otherwise sought to obtain their legal rights under any federal, state, or local law is prohibited and will not be tolerated.
Job Additional Information
The Horizon Club is a beautiful community in Deerfield Beach, FL, with more than 280 units offering independent living and assisted living.
Who We Are
Five Star Senior Living seeks individuals who believe in our core values of putting people first, minding the business, working to be our best, acting with integrity, and listening - then acting decisively. Each and every role within Five Star and Ageility is important to the success of our business goal to enhance the lifestyle of seniors.
Explore the possibilities of a career with us.